Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

California Foraging by Judith Larner Lowry

California Foraging

By Judith Larner Lowry

 
18266948  The diversity of California’s terrain and climate are a forager’s dream, with unique offerings from the coast, the mountains, the deserts, and everywhere in between. A passionate wild foods expert, Judith Larner Lowry shows you what to look for and how to gather it in a sustainable way.

California Foraging is a hardworking guide packed with detailed information and clear photography for the safe identification of more than 120 wild plants. It also features a seasonal guide for foraging year-round and collecting tips for sustainable harvesting.
 
*I received an ARC copy of this book through Netgalley.*
 
For a few years now I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about natural healing and foraging for wild foods.  I think it is something that is important to know.  Our ancestors knew it...they lived by it.  I think it's a shame that not many modern people are connected enough to the land that we know where to turn for food in case our supply runs out.  Until a few years ago, I had no idea that I was living in an area with a bounty of wild foods literally right outside my door.   
 
I've run across a lot of books in my search for information and I can say that this one ranks pretty high in terms of quality of information and pictures.  There were several things I've never heard of before (madrone bark tea!), as well as more information on plants I regularly gather (salal, chickweed, purslane).  There is a wealth of information in this book and it is one that I will most likely buy for myself some day.  It is definitely worth a look if you are interested in foraging in California. 

No comments:

Post a Comment