Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Charming by Elliott James

 Charming

by Elliott James

 John Charming isn't your average Prince...

He comes from a line of Charmings — an illustrious family of dragon slayers, witch-finders and killers dating back to before the fall of Rome. Trained by a modern day version of the Knights Templar, monster hunters who have updated their methods from chainmail and crossbows to kevlar and shotguns, he was one of the best. That is — until he became the abomination the Knights were sworn to hunt.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, he tends bar under an assumed name in rural Virginia and leads a peaceful, quiet life. One that shouldn't change just because a vampire and a blonde walked into his bar... Right?



I received a copy of Charming from the publisher through Netgalley. 

I ended up liking this book quite a bit. John Charming is a fun character whose narration reminds me a bit of Harry Dresden when Harry is having a good day.  John is sarcastic, witty, and he has a playfulness that I really like in a character.  His narration was what I enjoyed most about the book.  He is also a pretty kick-ass character because of his Knight training and because he has an inner beastie just waiting to get out. If it walks, talks, and smells like a werewolf...
The side characters were all fleshed out and had their own personalities and eccentricities.  Molly was my favorite.  She is a priest who uses Christmas music to relax and horror movies to conquer her fear of vampires.
The worldbuilding was interesting and I could tell that there was a lot of thought put into it.  The only thing I didn't love was that sometimes the author would add some history about a creature or how to kill it right in the middle of an action scene.  There were a few scenes in particular that irritated me because of this.  Still, it wasn't enough to make me too frustrated and the great things about the book outweighed this one bad one.   
I will definitely read the next book when it comes out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment