Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Bared To You by Sylvia Day

Bared To You

by Sylvia Day

 
Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness… He was beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I’d never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily…

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other’s most private wounds…and desires.The bonds of his love transformed me, even as i prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...
 
 
 
 So...I read this.  I actually liked it.  I've never read 50 Shades of Grey, I don't really want to because of how terrible the writing seems in the excerpts.  If I had known before I started it that Bared To You was supposed to be some sort of homage to 50 Shades....well, I probably wouldn't have read it.  I still have some embarrassment when it comes to reading romance, so I try to stay far from anything with too much drama attached to it.  Because the first thing people say when you tell them you read romance is 'oh, like sex books?'
 
 
                                                                              
Moving on.
 
The story itself was good and I like Day's writing, though she did use a bit too much purple prose for my taste.  I liked that it wasn't just a story of 'already well-off beautiful woman meets ridiculously wealthy and gorgeous man with control issues'.  A lot of the story itself is these two messed-up characters trying to make a relationship work.   
Gideon Cross was a little too good to be true at first, but that rapidly changed for me once I got to know his character better.  He was insanely creepy and I was sorta surprised that he didn't end up being a serial killer.  He stalked her repeatedly, went through her phone, did background checks on everyone she ever came into contact with, and TOOK PICTURES OF HER ROOM SO HE COULD MAKE A DUPLICATE ROOM IN HIS OWN SUITE.  Complete with identical furniture and personal items, of course. 
 
 
 
 
 
So, since most people reading this book will be adults, I will not mention how scary his behavior is.   Not. healthy.  Eva didn't seem to worry about it much, except for the occasional fond thought about his cute possessiveness.  Ugh. 
 
 
So, on to the things I liked.  I liked how they tried hard to work on their relationship (besides the creepiness) and they actually talked through their problems most of the time.  I get frustrated with most romance because of the lack of communication, so this was a welcome surprise. 
I loved that there were a few scenes where Eva was actively courting Gideon by sending him flowers and gifts.  It was awesome!  Who says the men have to go through all the trouble?  I loved, loved, that part!
 
*Spoilers ahead!*
 
Another thing I loved was the fact that Sylvia Day didn't pull any punches and had Gideon traumatized by past sexual abuse.  That's an odd thing to say that I loved, I know.  But I think there is too little awareness of the fact that men are almost as likely to suffer sexual abuse as women are.  



No comments:

Post a Comment