Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ragnarok by Brian James

Ragnarok

by Brian James


The Viking gods have been banished from Asgard by Odin. Today they make the best of life on Earth. Thor is a professional athlete, Freya a prostitute, and Loki sells cheap products on QVC. Lurking in the background of their lives is a prophecy; one that declares that their time is at an end. Ragnarok is about to throw the gods into a state of civil war and the one who controls the hammer of Thor may be able to change the arc of destiny.

I received an ARC copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.
 
I honestly had a difficult time reading this and I had to force myself to finish it.  The story was slow and tedious, and the writing style was not easy to get into.  All that would have been ok and I would have at least come away from reading the book feeling indifferent about it and maybe rated it two stars if I was in a good mood.  But what made me absolutely livid was the 'humor'.  It was forced and about 90% of the jokes were in very, very poor taste.  I lost count of all the fat jokes, gay jokes, homeless jokes.  It was like being in high school all over again and watching the school bully pick on all of your classmates.  It left me feeling very uncomfortable. 
 
0/5 (because I don't actually have to give it a star)

No comments:

Post a Comment